Porth Wen Brickworks
Supurb hidden bay with old ruined harbour, brickworks buildings and beehive kilns. Also, a brilliant rock arch and white pebble beach.
First R off A5025, 2 miles W of bull Bay with a layby. 800m, by L bend, find 2 footpath signs on R. Take second footpath up track then descend to bay (500m)
Siambr Gladdu Trefignath
This monument was erected in the Neolithic age (4000-2000 BC) for the communal burial of the dead. The burial chambers would have been covered to create 3 mounds.
From Trearddur Bay, head north on B4545, then turn right onto Lon Towyn Capel, in half a mile turn left, in another ½ mile take a slight left, just before the roundabout there is a small layby to the right.
Ty Mawr Standing Stone
A lone standing stone from the Bronze Age.
From Trearddur Bay, head north on B4545, then turn right onto Lon Towyn Capel, in half a mile turn left, in another ½ mile take a slight left at the roundabout take the 2ndexit there’s a café on the left which you can park in and over the road is the standing stone.
Sygun Copper Mine
A beautiful old copper mine, that has been reclaimed, restored and transformed into a fun attraction.
Beddgelert, Gwynedd, LL55 4NE
Sygun Copper Mine
The largest of the Great Orme quarry caverns, and right near the town centre. Cave lovers might also like Sheep Cave on the other side of the headland, high up with sea views.
From Llandudno Pier ascent road past the cable car and café (LL30 2ND), to park at the dry ski slope. Return back on foot to find path opp botanical garden, to an obvious rock face on the R. The sheep cave is at the top of the zigzag footpath from Abbey Road.
Royal Artillery School Ruins
The Royal Artillery coastal gunnery school was built in 1940 and abandoned at the end of the war. There are several sets of gun houses near the beach, and a further lookout higher on the cliff and also underground bunkers.
From the car park at the Great Orme’s head continue ½ mile SW on road to find the metal gate on R. Path leads ¼ mile S to main guns, but another trio is directly below the fate. Another single lookout is just 200m to the N below the cliff.
Great Orme Mines
An incredible network of caves and tunnels dating back 4,000 years.
Well signed, at LL30 2XG, with parking.
Druid’s Circle, Cefn Coch
Large stone circle with 29 stones and great views. The coast path rises to 400m here, and there are two more circles to be found on the ridge, including the smallest in the UK, and the Criag Lwyd Neolithic axe factory.
Park by pillars at the top of mountain Lane (beyond LL34 6YP) then 1 ½ miles on a good track. Criag Lwyd outcrop is to the NW.
Clogwyn-Y-Fuwch, Llyn Crafnant
Very impressive set of large slate caverns from the 1790s, before safer honeycombed chambers, were introduced. The first level can be entered via a short tunnel, or bypassed, and contains splitting and dressing huts (waliau) inside the cavern itself. Persevere up the steep incline, through the waste, to the largest chambers on levels 4 and 5. From here a beautiful walk through the ancient woodland leads down to Klondyke mill.
Signed Llyn Crafnant opp The Fairy Falls inn in Trefriw B5106; follow the road past LL27 0JZ to the forestry car park and toilets ½ mile further R. Cross road and take forestry track up. At the first bend bear off L to find ruins at the base of mine, and first level entrance.
Hafna Mine Shelter
In forest off a minor lane, this was one of the most important lead mines in the area from 1879 to 1915. The vast covered factory was state of the art, designed by the French in 1889. Follow the smelting process down the hillside; each floor has different function.
About ½ mile n of the Outdoor Pursuits Centre (LL27 0JB) in Gwydyr Forest, with parking.
Klondyke Mine Ruins
Huge ore mill ruins from 1900 in beautiful woods. The mill and associated mine (sealed off) was the site of a great mining scam in 1918. A challenging gorge scramble ascends up to Llyn Geirionydd.
The best approach is via Clogwyn-Y-Fuwch; continue round on the contour, bearing down L on smaller track as the main path begins to rise after 50m. Cross the wall into ancient oak woods and follow old trackway ½ mile to the mill tailings. Return on lane in a loop.
Mynydd Y Dref and Pensychnant
Spectacular views out over Anglesey and the Orme from this ancient hill fort on Conwy Mountain. Earthworks, burial cairns and stone circles. Pensychnant House, adjacent is a community nature reserve with ancient woodland.
Leave Conwy on Upper Gate St/Sychnant Pass Rd. Continue 2 miles, past Pensychnant LL32 8BJ, to parking at top of the pass. Take footpath on R for 1 mile bearing N then E. For a shorter walk, Alltwen hill is up a fork L from the pass.